Long time member Jim Morgan is leading an effort by Friends of Balls Bluff to replace the missing historical marker for Balls Bluff. The marker was located near the intersection of Battlefield Parkway and US 15 By-pass. It was reported missing last year. (More details from Leesburg Today.)
The marker is one of the original from the Virginia State highway markers program and dated to 1927. The Friends of Balls Bluff are proposing updated text for the replacement marker:
“Just to the east, 1,700 Union troops crossed the Potomac River and clashed with 1,700 Confederates on 21 Oct. 1861. The previous evening, a Union reconnaissance patrol had mistaken a row of trees for a small group of Confederate tents. Brig. Gen. Charles Stone ordered an early-morning raid on this ‘camp.’ Confederates under Col. Nathan Evans confronted the Federals, who were then reinforced. Col. and Sen. Edward D. Baker took command and became the only U.S. senator ever killed in combat. The Federals were routed as they retreated across the river. Congress created the Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War to investigate the defeat.”
The replacement sign will cost $1630. After funds are raised and the Department of Historic Resources has approved the text, a new marker will be ordered. For those interested in helping with the effort:
Checks should be made out to Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority, noting the money is for the Friends of Ball’s Bluff sign project, and sent to: Friends of Ball’s Bluff, c/o Temple Hall Farm Regional Park, 15789 Temple Hall Lane, Leesburg, VA 20176.