The Town of Vienna, Virginia invites all to a reenactment of the battle of Vienna on June 17 and 18. Events and attractions include artillery firings, living history demonstrations, presentations, children’s activities, and a replica train. The battle of Vienna, on June 17, 1861 was the fifth skirmish of the Civil War and part of the First Manassas campaign. The battle took place near the Park Street railroad crossing where the Vienna Community Center now stands along the Alexandria, Loudoun, and Hampshire Railroad (now the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail).
Friday, June 17
- 3:00 p.m. Civilian & Military Encampments Check-in (Vienna Community Center, 120 Cherry St., SE) Town Green, 144 Maple Ave., E
- 6:30 p.m. Evergreen Shade, Period Music
- 7:15 p.m. Civil War Stories, Jim Lewis, Local Historian, Hunter Mill Defense League
Saturday, June 18
Vienna Community Center, 120 Cherry Street., SE
- 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Exhibitors Booths Open (Cherry Street)
- 10 a.m. Civilian & Military Encampments Open. The 5th Regiment ANV, 17th Virginia Infantry Regiment, Company G, The Magnetic Telegraph Company & The Dixie Rose Relief Society.
- 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Demonstrations To Include Quilting Bee, Telegraph Communications, Period Games, Period Attire, Cosmetics & Hair Styling, Knitting, & Cooking
- 10:30 a.m. Infantry Demonstrations On The Half Hour
- 11:00 a.m. Artillery Demonstrations On The Hour (Beginning at 11 a.m.) Conducted by Stribling’s Battery
- 1:00 p.m. “Women in the Civil War” Presented by Dr. Cynthia Jacobs Carter
- 2:00 p.m. Civil War Train Replica, Presented by The Town of Strasburg
- 5:00 p.m. Battle Formation
- 6:00 p.m. Reenactment of “The Battle of Vienna”
- 7:30 p.m. Civilian & Military Encampments Close to Public
Event organizers include the town of Vienna, Historic Vienna, the Vienna Sesquicentennial Committee, with special thanks to 5th Regiment A.N.V. and the 17th Virginia Infantry Regiment, Company D.
More information – Battle of Vienna (PDF)